Monday, August 18, 2014

Summer Recap: Zions Edition

This summer has been fast and furious, but one of my favorite to date. You know when you get that itch that you need to go on vacation? Well I got it, and I itched it and itched it, and itched it again. Between the 3 of us, we've been gone the majority of the summer. Sadly, most of the time it wasn't together. Luckily, this trip was!

The beginning of June is when I got a little itchy for adventure. So we talked our friends, Jake and Heidi, into go with us down to Zion's National Park for some hiking. Some of us had never been and some of us hadn't been in forever so we were excited to get some exploring in. We rented and drove down in this tank of a car, because why would we want to drive separate!?


Good times were had by all. It was hot but Zions is surprisingly shady -- in the good way. With kids things were a little more slow going, but I think it helped us stop and enjoy the amazing beauty that was around us. The first day we started things off with a hike along the river walk and the beginning of the narrows, which was covered about 80% by water, so we didn't make it as far as we wanted. It got a little slippery and I was a wreck with the babes in the backpacks. Of course, everyone ended up safe, sounds, and drowsy by the end of the day. We actually made it home with only the most minor of scrapes and zero sunburns!



Funny side story: We got all the way down to Jeremy's grandparent's house (where we stayed) and unloaded the car, and at 2 a.m. we realized that Ellie had NO CLOTHES, as in, we forgot her whole bag. At home. Luckily, I packed diapers and the super basics, but no clothing. Don't worry, her sunglasses made it though. Thank goodness, Jeremy's grandma is always prepared and Ellie had jammies, church clothes, and hiking apparel. Oh, and Holden was kind enough to donate a pair of his shorts for the weekend. It's amazing how much you really don't need when it comes down to it.



We love the Allens! Heidi and I have been friends since freshmen year of college. We lived on the same floor in the dorms and were in the same Kappa pledge class. People are always telling us we look like sisters, and I honestly think that's just what we are, long lost sisters. She gets me, like really gets me. Our hubbs get along swimmingly, which thank goodness for that because it doesn't always work out so well. Also, our kids, they're getting married. Holden and Ellie love each other already!



These two were troopers, I think they liked being on their daddy's backs better than being out.








I'd say day one was a success. We drove home tired and filthy and I loved every second of it!

Day two Heidi and I started the day off by carrying the babies on our backs. We didn't make it a full day, but we had some fun along the way and I thoroughly enjoyed the extra calories burned. Thanks Elles! Those hiking carries are da bomb! I want one, in a bad way. But, until I'm ready to chalk up the cash renting one for $20 is fine by me.



 Ellie got some of the best naps of her life in that thing. Happy as a clam.


The second day ended up being my favorite. We hiked the 3 emerald pools, but got lost between the 2nd and 3rd pools somehow and we ended up scaling up the side of a mountain only to find out we'd hit a dead and and had to scale back down. Of course, Ellie was on my back for this one. See that picture above? It's of a vertical beast. J.rue is literally standing above me. I was proud.

Once we made it to the 3rd pool though, it was well worth it.




Needless to say, we left a little bit of our hearts in Zions and I can't wait to go back. Not pictured were our delish food escapades. There was tacos, pizza, and ice cream involved. Also, tip: we packed a bunch of snacks, meat, cheese, and the most delicious pretzel rolls (from costco of course!) and snacked our hearts out. It was so nice having food on the go. And really, the tip was to just go and buy a bag of those pretzel rolls because you will die and go to heaven. Really, you will.

This trip was also a little bitter sweet because it was the last time that we got to be with j.rue's sweet grandpa Burdell. He passed away about a month later and I am eternally grateful that Ellie got to love on him one last time. I'm so thankful for the knowledge that we'll see him again.



Summer recap, part one: over and out!

No comments:

Post a Comment