Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Summer Recap: Wisconsin Edition

At the end of June Ellie and I got to go to Wisconsin to see spend some time with my dad's side of the family. I was so excited to get out there 1, because I hadn't been for 3 years and 2, Ellie hadn't met that side of the family yet! I was super nervous to fly with her by myself but she was an angel (especially with a tiny bit of benadryl). We we're sad to kiss j.rue goodbye, but I think he managed to stay entertained without us.




Also, thank goodness Gap makes hand covers on some of their jammies up to size 6-9 months. While it doesn't super make sense in the day-to-day, in airports it was my lifesaver. We had a 3 hour layover and it was so nice that I could let her crawl around while her whole body was covered.


My dad met us at the airport and my uncle picked us all up and treated us to a late lunch. There was sooo much good food during this trip. SO MUCH. The trip went by way too quickly, like all good trips do but we had the best time!


The thing I was most excited about was Ellie meeting the family. She was on her best behavior most of the time and she loved all of the attention. She loved spending time crawling around her great grandma and grandpa's house and making messes in her wake. It's what she does best. It was so fun to see her with her grandpa and greats, there really is nothing sweeter.


We spent most of our time visiting, which is my all time favorite thing to do with my fam. It was so nice and relaxing just to catch up. I love my grandma's house. I have the best memories there growing up. I remember eating Crispix in the kitchen and just chatting with my grandma. She has always made me feel so special and loved. My grandpa is a man of few words, but several years ago he came to pick me up from the airport, which is over an hour drive back to their town. We spent the driving talking about his childhood and family. I loved every second of it and I'm so thankful I had that one on one time to spend with him.



Like I said before, there was so much food involved. My favorite was the Potosi Brewery. My grandma grew up in Potosi and I loved hearing her stories. We drove around the town and she showed us where she lived and played and I was in heaven. Thank goodness Ellie doesn't mind the car seat, we did a lot of site seeing. Wisconsin is so beautiful and green.

I'm sad that I didn't get a good photo with my Aunt Kathy. She was kind enough to let us stay with her. Ellie tore up her house as well, and she didn't seem to mind one bit. I could sit and chat with her for hours and hours, and she baked us the most delicious treats. We didn't get to spend enough time together.



The Sunday before we left most of the family who could got together for a BBQ for my sweet grandma's birthday. Again, more good food but the best part was the company. It was fun to catch up with my cousins. Now I just need to convince them to come out and visit (we'll even meet in Vegas!) I'm jealous, almost every single member of our family lives there. We're sad that we have to miss so much.





It was so fun to be able to spend a whole week with my dad as well. He lives a state over, so we don't get to see him as much as we like either. I know he loved spending time with Ellie. Family really is the most important thing that bring the most happiness, easily. I love my family so much.

My Dad spoiled Ellie and bought her a few accessories so we had to have a photo shoot of course!


(I'm sorry I couldn't resist!)


We got some adorable photos. Of course she wouldn't smile until AFTER we were done taking photos, but what can ya do? Right after we finished up our pictures it started to rain pretty hard and there was actually a tornado warning for the area. Luckily, there weren't any tornadoes, but the wind did some serious damage around town. It kept things interesting to say the least.



It was so hard to leave after the week. I got teary eyed a few times, but we're shooting to make it back again next summer, hopefully with j.rue in tow. 

Thanks for having us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment